2013 Northern Trust Open HighlightsMay 14, 2013
On February 14th -17th, the 2013 Northern Trust Open held at the Riviera Country Club once again presented golfers with one of the game’s most challenging courses for some of the best professional golfers in the world. This year, Los Angeles native and UCLA graduate, John Merrick won the second hole of a play-off. Merrick joins the other names in the book of greatest golfers who ever played the game.
The Los Angeles Junior Chamber of Commerce took 2nd place in fundraising for 2013 NTO Tickets Fore Charity. Prior, the Junior Chamber also won the 1st bonus pool of $10,000. The 2013 TICKETS Fore CHARITY program raised a record $274,010 for non-profit organizations in the greater Los Angeles area. The participating charities generated $224,010 in ticket sales, and Northern Trust (Nasdaq: NTRS) donated an additional $50,000 in bonus funds in the top-earning charities.
Bonus pool funds were also distributed to the charities that finished second, third, fourth and fifth in the overall fundraising effort:
- 2nd – Los Angeles Junior Chamber of Commerce: generated $38,545 overall and received $6,000 from the bonus pool;
- 3rd – SCGA Foundation – generated $24,735 overall and received $4,000 from the bonus pool;
- 4th – St. James Inn – generated $22,410 overall and received $3,000 from the bonus pool; and
- 5th – Notre Dame Academy – generated $15,675 overall and received $2,000 from the bonus pool.
The First Tee of LA (TFTLA) and the LA Junior Chamber of Commerce worked closely with Northern Trust to put another historic tournament in the books successfully. The First Tee of LA and the Junior Chamber recruited 88 volunteers (including 5 TFTLA participants) for the Admissions Committee to cover 1309 volunteer hours to get tournament through gates as quickly as possible.Thanks to seven lucky days of straight sunshine, the Northern Trust Open saw its largest attendance in 10 years, including a 21% increase in attendance on the second to last day of the tournament.
Additional highlights include:
• Over 1000 youth attended the tournament as part of Tee Off Fore Youth and attended the STEM (Science Technology Engineering and Math) Zone. The STEM Zone is Chevron’s hands-on course of a Science Technology Engineering and Math interactive golf center that includes teaching youth on topics ranging from agronomy to meteorology, ball flight and velocity, and even includes the technology of a television broadcast.
• 100 youth from The First Tee of LA and its partners attended the Northern Trust Open as part of Tee Off Fore Youth
Now Accepting Registration/Class Enrollment for The First Tee of LA
Applications are now being taken for all new and returning golfers for all locations. To register, please visit the website and click here.
We are also looking for volunteers for classes and competitive events that start in the summer. In addition, we are in search of youth agencies that are interested in delivering The First Tee’s program with its members, as one-time clinics or multi-class sessions. Interested volunteers and/or youth agencies, please contact Lisa Grimm at 213-680-8002 or firstname.lastname@example.org.