Nine Healthy Habits™
The First Tee Nine Healthy Habits™ were created through a collaboration among The First Tee, ANNIKA Foundation, and Florida Hospital for Children to promote healthy, active lifestyles for young people. The health habits are a list of nine health and wellness topics presented as a part of The First Tee National School Program and Life Skills Experience™ , formatted for easy understanding and learning by elementary-age students and chapter participants. The First Tee Nine Healthy Habits™ represent a comprehensive approach to youth wellness and are organized under three categories of physical, emotional and social health. Participants who progress within The First Tee Life Skills Experience™ will learn age and developmentally appropriate health and wellness behaviors at each level of the curriculum.
Wellness Activities within The First Tee Life Skills Experience™
- PLAYer level participants are asked to demonstrate good judgment as it relates to healthy behaviors by choosing to properly prepare their bodies through exercise, nutrition, and hydration.
- Par level participants are asked to set their Personal Par for wellness and physical activity.
- Birdie level participants are asked to use STAR (Stop, Think, Anticipate, and Respond) for wellness and physical activity.
- Eagle level participants learn “Stay Well for Life” through specific life skills techniques which are delivered to address a Healthy Body, Mind, and Heart. Some of the lesson titles include: Building Physical Wellness; Choosing a Healthy Lifestyle; Eat Right, Drink Right; and Personal Wellness Goal; Ladder.
Physical Activity within the Game of Golf
The game of golf is a lifelong physical activity where players walk on average 5 to 6 miles per round. For a 150 pound person that carries their clubs, this equates to 350 calories burned per hour, with the average round consisting of 4 hours equates to 1,400 calories burned during the course of a round of golf. Practicing by hitting balls on the practice tee equates to 190 calories per hour for the same size person.
The First Tee Nine Healthy Habits™ Summary Statements
- Energy: It is important to understand and make healthy choices about when to eat, how much to eat, and the types of food and drinks to provide the body with the most useful energy.
- Play: A variety of energizing play can help the body stay strong, lean and fit, and be fun in the process. Sleep and other forms of “re-charging” allow one to engage in play on a daily basis.
- Safety: Physical safety includes playing in a safe environment and by the rules, protecting the body with proper equipment, warm-up and cool-down and wearing sun protection.
- Vision: In order to make the most of one’s unique gifts—talents, characteristics and abilities—an individual needs to learn from the past, value the present, create their vision and future to ultimately “leave a footprint.”
- Mind: The mind is a powerful tool for health. One’s mind influences his/her emotions and behaviors and can be utilized for self-improvement, building confidence and maintaining perspective.
- Family: When family members participate in activities together – share meals, communicate and establish roles and responsibilities – they are more likely to be successful in achieving their health-related goals.
- Friends: Maintaining healthy relationships includes surrounding one’s self with friends and supportive people, while effectively handling challenging situations, including bullying and navigating the digital age with social media.
- School: Success in school – learning, building relationships and contributing to the school environment – leads to success in other areas of life.
- Community: Like the health of one’s body, it is important to also explore the health of one’s community and discover how one can give back and care for its environment and safety.
News & Updates
Thank you to participants in the Lady Brentwood Golf Tournament! Read more »
Congratulations to Alyssa Lopez in qualifying for The First Tee’s Speedgolf Championship Read more »
2013 Northern Trust Open Highlights Read more »
The First Tee of LA to Host Speedgolf International Qualifier on May 11th. NO CHARGE to any Members of Local TFT Chapters Read more »
Sign up for Golf at the 2013 LA Watts Summer Games today! (Date moved to 6/28) Read more »