Life Skills Experience™
The foundation of The First Tee of Los Angeles’ curriculum is the Life Skills Experience™ The curriculum is based on weekly instruction with a golf professional. Golfers participate in classes with a consistent instructor, location and classmates. The curriculum used for this program was developed by experts in the field of positive youth development and is delivered by coaches trained through The First Tee Coach Program.
We believe that sports, specifically the game of golf, provide a platform to encourage core values and healthy choices. The First Tee Life Skills Experience™ is one of the unique features that differentiates The First Tee from other youth enrichment and junior golf programs. It helps young people develop character by focusing on Nine Core Values: honesty, integrity, sportsmanship, respect, confidence, responsibility, perseverance, courtesy and judgment. It also help them to develop into a healthy balanced adult by incorporating the Nine Healthy Habits™. The lessons reinforced through the Life Skills curriculum and golf classes teach young people to: confidently introduce themselves; manage emotions; resolve conflicts; set step-by-step goals; plan for the future; and appreciate diversity.
Participants are tracked as they progress through each of 5 certification levels:
- PLAYer (required minimum age 7) – Introduces playing the game of golf with special emphasis on learning golf and The First Tee Code of Conduct, appreciating the rules and etiquette of the game and developing a game plan for golf and life.
- Par (recommended minimum age 9) – Focuses on interpersonal communications and self-management skills.
- Birdie (recommended minimum age 11) – Emphasizes goal setting.
- Eagle (recommended minimum age13) – Emphasizes resilience skills, conflict resolution and planning for the future.
- Ace (required minimum age 14 or entering 9th grade) – Once a young person has progressed through all program levels, he/she can become Ace-certified, focusing on setting goals for golf, career education, and giving back to the community.
Participants advance through the different Life Skill levels through a certification process with five general requirements: core lesson exposure, life skills application, golf skills application, life skills knowledge and golf knowledge. Each participant seeking to move to a higher level will demonstrate their understanding of the core golf and life skills. They will show their ability to apply the lessons learned both on and off the golf course.
Additional programs are available after meeting certain eligibility requirements. These include Introduction to Competition Series, Team Play, LPGA Pro-Am participation, Junior/Adult tournaments and others. Only participants in the Life Skills Experience™ program are eligible to participate in programs offered through the The First Tee’s Network Youth Opportunities.
News & Updates
Thank you to participants in the Lady Brentwood Golf Tournament! Read more »
Congratulations to Alyssa Lopez in qualifying for The First Tee’s Speedgolf Championship Read more »
2013 Northern Trust Open Highlights Read more »
The First Tee of LA to Host Speedgolf International Qualifier on May 11th. NO CHARGE to any Members of Local TFT Chapters Read more »
Sign up for Golf at the 2013 LA Watts Summer Games today! (Date moved to 6/28) Read more »